MCLAREN AND TORO ROSSO CONFIRM ENGINE SWAP
In a series of rapid announcements in Singapore, McLaren and Toro Rosso have confirmed that they will swap engine suppliers in 2018.
The news officially confirms what had been widely speculated, that McLaren will commence a three year engine supply deal with Renault starting in 2018. While, Toro Rosso have agreed to a “multi-year deal” to use Honda engines.
McLaren triggered the announcements, with the confirmation that they had terminated their Honda engine.
“There has never been any doubt over Honda’s commitment and energy to the mission of success in Formula 1″ said Zak Brown, McLaren Technology Group Executive Director
“They are proven winners and innovators. For a combination of reasons our partnership has not flourished as any of us would have wished.”
“It is certainly not for the want of effort on the part of either Honda or McLaren, but the time has come to move ahead in different directions.”
That confirmation was promptly followed by the announcement their new engine supply deal with Renault.
“Today’s announcement gives us the stability we need to move ahead with our chassis and technical programme for 2018 without any further hesitation.” said Brown.
“As an organisation, McLaren has always worked extremely hard to form lasting partnerships with its technical suppliers. We’re convinced that we can bring real value to Renault Sport Racing as we work alongside it to develop this current power unit into a regular race winner.”
Renault confirmed that the deal was inline with the returning the manufacturer to winning position in 2020.
“We are pleased to confirm a new partnership for Renault Sport Racing and McLaren Racing and excited to embark on this new relationship of these two historic brands in Formula 1 cooperating together for the first time.” said Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director, Renault Sport Racing
“This agreement is perfectly in line with our mid-term strategy and with our objective to be in a winning position as a team in 2020.”
Honda then confirmed their new agreement with Toro Rosso for 2018. However, specific details of the deal remain guarded, leading to speculation that the primary Red Bull team could take over from 2019 should the Japanese manufacturer make progress in it development.
The news also confirmed that Carlos Sainz would move to Renault in 2018. However, the Spaniard is only on loan from Red Bull, who are believed to have an option to recall him in 2019.
We have also have more of the latest news out of the Formula 1 paddock in the current issue of Auto Action Magazine. In the meantime follow us on social media Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or sign up for our weekly email newsletter for all the latest updates.
Date posted: September 15, 2017