SAUBER HONDA DEAL OFF
The deal between for Sauber to run Honda engines in 2018 is officially off.
The two parties announced today that they would not go ahead with the planned technical partnership in 2018.
“It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned collaboration with Honda at this stage,” said Sauber’s new team principal Frederic Vasseur.
“However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind.
“We would like to thank Honda for their collaboration, and wish them all the best for their future in Formula One.”
With Sauber languishing at the back of the grid so far this year, Honda confirmed that the project had been called off.
“We had built a good relationship with Sauber, and had been looking forward to entering the 2018 F1 season together,” said Masashi Yamamoto, General Manager of Honda’s Motor Sports Division.
“However, during discussions after management changes at the team, we reached a mutual agreement to call-off the project due to differences in the future directions of both parties.
“We would like to thank Sauber for their cooperation, and wish them all the best for their future.
“Despite this announcement, Honda’s passion for motorsports and strong commitment to Formula One remains unchanged.”
While McLaren and Honda continue to have performance issues, it’s expected that relationship will continue in 2018.
For more of the latest Formula 1 news, make sure you pick up the current issue of Auto Action, on sale now. In the meantime follow us on social media Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Date posted: July 28, 2017